I was registered under VAT but not under Central Excise. Do I need to apply for new registration?

No. Existing registrants of VAT having valid PAN have
been issued Provisional ID and password. If you have not
received provisional ID, please contact your tax administration
to obtain the same. This Provisional Identity Number (PID)
would eventually be your GSTIN, when the migration process
is completed.